Re: Off topic Gimp-2.8_Save and save as bad behavior

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 10:22:04 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 03:58:55PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 17:32:10 +0200, maderios wrote:
>> > This new Gimp's behaviour is not a bug but a (weird) developper's
>> > choice
>>
>> Developer's choices can be changed when enough people think they're
>> wrong or simply badly put. That's when you can open a "wishlist" bug
>> report to politely ask for a review of the default settings.
>
> In message http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2012/08/msg00713.html
>
> I posted this link:
> http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/entry/gimp-2.8-understanding-ui-changes
>
> That explains the changes fairly well.

Things can be explained "ad infinitum" but that won't change the fact
they are bad or good for you, for me or for the others.

If I don't like how a program is behaving and I can't cope with a new
default which cannot be changed I will tell developers about it,
regardless they like it or not and despite the change has been
explained "ad infinitum" or not. That's how I think things have to be
done in FLOSS projects where everybody collaborates at some degree. Of
course, it does not mean my complaint will make the default to be
reverted but before I stop using an application I have to give it such
chance.

> Also this is makes an interesting point: (regarding Linux and choice)
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-devel-list/2008-January/msg00861.html

I don't know what's your point here because every single developer is a
world (has an opinion) and what does not fit for some it does for others.
Of course, Linux (as everything else in this world) is about choice: devels
choice and users choice. And we don't have to forget that the success of
a project will depend on a fair equation for a balanced "choice" ratio:
if balance is inclined to the devels part, users will fly away from you;
if balance is inclined to users, devels can request for additional
petitions such as payment for their work... and we all know that both
extremes are neither good as it usually leads to projects being abandoned.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón