Re: Voice redirection: from mic. to speakers on wheezy laptop [was Mic. does not work...].

On Tuesday 14 August 2012 13:25:24 Sthu Deus wrote:
> Good time of the day, Camaleón.
>

> Thank You for Your time and answer.
>
> You wrote:
> > > Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
> > >
> > >   Capabilities: cvolume cswitch penum
> > >   Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right Limits: Capture 0 - 15
> > >
> > >   Front Left: Capture 15 [100%] [22.50dB] [off] Front Right:
> > > Capture 15 [100%] [22.50dB] [off]
> > >
> > > So. volume 100%, but both channels are off! May, You have an idea
> > > how to turn it on?
> >
> > (...)
> >
> > I don't know how to engage your Capture ports *but* I can tell you
> > how I can turn off mines on the fly: by opening the GNOME applet
> > sound mixer and moving the "Microphone" slide to "Off" :-)
> >
> > So I guess that there has to be a tool to do this from command line.
> > Let me do some search... got it:
> >
> > amixer set Capture cap → will toggle on Capture ports (L/R)
> > amixer set Capture nocap → will toggle off Capture ports (L/R)
>
> Oh! I have read the links You have provided me w/ and You will lough
> probably - how simple the solution was! - The problem did lay in need
> to press space on capture switch and that's it! - That turned the
> above in question status "off" to "on". That simple! - For sure ALSA
> developers did not go from the point of usability (i.e. volumes higher
> than zero means on and vise versa) - Or at least they could inform user
> that space key should be pressed in order the ALSA mixer will turn mic.
> on!
>
> Wow! About 10 years I did not use that mic. - just for that wonderful
> ALSA mixer feature! - You know it is not easy to guess - because of the
> rumors of poorly supported hardware by linux OS - especially laptops! -
> Sure, ALSA developers did add some oil to that fire.
>
> OK, I've finished! :o)
>
> N, I have another problem - sound is recorded by ALSA recorder and
> played by ALSA player. But, I can not hear my voice directly - that is
> from mic. to speakers - only through recorded file. Do You have any
> clue on this? What can be the problem?
Is the microphone switched on in the playback controls [F3]? Is the volume set
to a reasonable level?
Switching on or off with "." (period or fullstop)
Mic can be off on playback but on on record to avoid feedback.

With [F4] you switch alsamixer to the capture controls. Capture should be
correctly on Mic because you are able to record your voice..
[F5] shows all controls
[F1] help

--
Eike Lantzsch ZP6CGE