Re: Off topic Gimp-2.8_Save and save as bad behavior

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 6:15 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> However, at the moment Linux comes with one negative surprise after the
> other. GNOME3, noveau, forcing people to install systemd dependencies,
> while not using systemd (perhaps not Debian) etc.. Upstream is
> disconnected from the user base.

It's unfortunate that we all conflate GNOME 3 and GNOME Shell - it's
probably and understandably intentional on the part of GNOME -
because, AIUI, GNOME 3 is a big improvement over GNOME 2 (except, for
some, for the requirement of hardware acceleration or LLVM) and GNOME
Shell is a disappointment for some/many because of the new UI (not
me), for some/many because it shunts off basic functionality into
extensions or the use of gconf/dconf/gsettings (definitely for me),
and for some/many both. If it were possible to customize GNOME Shell
with GUI tools installed by default, there'd be fewer users
disappointed by the new UI.

I've forgotten why I read some threads on arch-general after you
posted in a July d-u thread, but, from what I remember, what you're
calling systemd dependencies are "/etc" files proposed by the systemd
developers to hold configuration information that used to be held in
"/etc/rc.conf" and that the Arch initscripts/systemd maintainer has
adopted (without invalidating the rc.conf settings since, for example,
setting 'HOSTNAME=<hostname>" in rc.conf overrides setting
"<hostname>" in "/etc/hostname").

Whether distributions adopt systemd or not, it's high time that there
was some standardization across distributions, for a few things at
least. I don't remember the entire list but having the hostname set in
"/etc/hostname" (a Debianism by the way), the locale in
"/etc/locale.conf", the keyboard map and font in "/etc/vconsole.conf",
sysctl values in "/etc/sysctl.d/" (exists in squeeze and wheezy), and
distribution information in "/etc/os-release" (exists in wheezy! OMG
systemd's creeping into Debian!) is a good thing, irrespective of
whether it supplants previous configuration options in "/etc/default/"
or elsewhere (or "/etc/rc.conf" in Arch).