Re: Off topic Gimp-2.8_Save and save as bad behavior

On Sun, 2012-08-12 at 01:40 -0400, Tom H wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 4:35 PM, maderios <maderios@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 08/11/2012 08:30 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >>
> >> The strange thing IMO is, that save and save as are completely the same
> >> and we need to use export nowadays.
> >
> >  "Save" and "save as" are different
> >
> > Save= save the same file (same name) after modifying this file
> > Ex1: I open house.png, I change contrast, luminosity then I save it
> > I use only one key to do it: "s"
> > It takes 1/5 second
> >
> > Save as= save this file with another name, another extension
> > Ex2: I open house.png, I change contrast, luminosity, I delete some details
> > I don't like  with rubber then save it under another name like house-2
> > because it's a different version.
> > I use only one key to save it under "house-2.png": "u"
> > Ex3: I open house.png. I need .xcf version to build a new image with layers,
> > etc.
> > I use only one key to save it under "house.xcf": "u"
> >
> > Very quick and simple....
> >
> > For me,  "export" word is useless and confusing. Export to what? To jpeg,
> > png, xcf, tiff ? It depends on the file where you start.
> > You could start with a jpeg and want to export to .xcf, or the contrary....
> > "Save as" function is clear: only one key to use and you change only the
> > extension or file name. It's the gimp-2.6 behavior.
>
> You might "enjoy" this three-part thread...
>
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2012-April/107586.html
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2012-April/107603.html
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2012-May/107697.html

There are other changes that some folks don't like. Btw. I know
Photoshop users using old versions of Photoshop, because they run into
similar issues.

However, at the moment Linux comes with one negative surprise after the
other. GNOME3, noveau, forcing people to install systemd dependencies,
while not using systemd (perhaps not Debian) etc.. Upstream is
disconnected from the user base.

Regards,
Ralf