Re: Off topic Gimp-2.8_Save and save as bad behavior

On 08/11/2012 08:30 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
The strange thing IMO is, that save and save as are completely the same
and we need to use export nowadays.

 "Save" and "save as" are different

Save= save the same file (same name) after modifying this file
Ex1: I open house.png, I change contrast, luminosity then I save it
I use only one key to do it: "s"
It takes 1/5 second

Save as= save this file with another name, another extension
Ex2: I open house.png, I change contrast, luminosity, I delete some details I don't like with rubber then save it under another name like house-2 because it's a different version.
I use only one key to save it under "house-2.png": "u"
Ex3: I open house.png. I need .xcf version to build a new image with layers, etc.
I use only one key to save it under "house.xcf": "u"

Very quick and simple....

For me, "export" word is useless and confusing. Export to what? To jpeg, png, xcf, tiff ? It depends on the file where you start.
You could start with a jpeg and want to export to .xcf, or the contrary....
"Save as" function is clear: only one key to use and you change only the extension or file name. It's the gimp-2.6 behavior.
Regards