Re: .htaccess , how to bypass authentication for specific IPs ?

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 10:40:51 +0530, J. B wrote:

> I have the following in my .htaccess to force the authentication
>
> [....]
> AuthName "htaccess password prompt"
> AuthUserFile /home/askapache.com/.htpasswd AuthType Basic
> Require valid-user
> [...]
>
> Now I like some IPs to bypass the authentication. Hence I have modified
> the rule as
>
> [...]
> Order deny,allow
> Deny from all
> AuthName "htaccess password prompt"
> AuthUserFile /home/askapache.com/.htpasswd AuthType Basic
> Require valid-user
> Allow from 172.17.10.1
> Satisfy Any
> [....]
>
> But it just allow all IPs to bypass the authentication. IS there any
> wrong code in the rule set ? The apache version is -  [ Server version:
> Apache/2.2.16 (Debian) ]

By "all IPs" you mean all of the IPs coming from your local network range
or also from remote?

At a first glance I see nothing wrong from the above "Allow from" directive
(and you have more configuration samples here):

http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/BypassAuthenticationOrAuthorizationRequirements

Did you reload the apache2 service after the change?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón