Re: installing virtual guest via ssh on console based remote host

Nelson Green wrote:
> OK, another quick question, completely off subject, but hardly worth a new
> thread.

That's debatable. :-)

> When I look at my previous post through a browser, there are no line breaks,

Yes.  Very annoying.  And unfortunately not uncommon when using
Microsoft mail user agents.  When doing so they should set
"format=flowed" and then the mail reader would know that it needs to
flow the text.  But MS in particular doesn't do this and it is quite
annoying.

> and one has to scroll across the screen to read it.

Yes.  Very annoying.

In my mail user agent (mutt in a terminal) it wraps hard at 80 columns
without regard to words.  That is, it doesn't truncate the line.  It
just keeps printing and when that runs off the end of the line it does
the traditional terminal thing and continues on the next line.  But it
is also quite hard to read that way.  Also very annoying.  I often
need to manually word wrap a copy of the text in order to make it
readable.

> I don't imagine this is desirable for most users.

It is not.  But most of us have probably gotten tired of griping about
it.  MS hasn't fixed half of their bugs yet and this one doesn't seem
to be getting traction for a fix either.  Email predates MS using it.
Many of us remember MS opposing being connected to the Internet and
them trying to cloister their subscribers off on their own private
side of things.  Unfortunately that didn't work.  When they decided to
play with others on the Internet they didn't ever decide to play by
the previously established rules and standards.  We have been
suffering through it ever since.

> Is that a result of my mail client (hotmail)?

Microsoft bought Hotmail and converted it to MS systems some time ago.
Prior to the conversion away from Sun servers I believe their web
interface was function and word wrapping was applied by default.  But
then everything was rewritten to use MS servers.

> This message won't suffer the same issue because I'm manually
> breaking the lines.

Thank you for doing that.  There is very likely a setting that you can
set to have it automatically word wrap your paragraphs at 72
characters.  Although searching now I see a lot of complaints from
users about that mis-feature.  The best suggestion I see from the web
is to cut the previous text into an editor for composing and word
wrapping and then pasting the result back for mailing.  That seems
very painful.

Perhaps you should consider using a different free email platform?

  I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and
  besides, the pig likes it. --George Bernard Shaw

Bob