Re: [OT] Will upcoming Debian 8 release default to XFCE for the CD media?

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 16:50:24 +0100
Darac Marjal <mailinglist@darac.org.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 04:37:01PM +0100, Keith McKenzie wrote:
> > On 9 August 2012 15:24, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 22:31:05 +0100, Keith McKenzie wrote:
> > >
> [cut]
> >
> > A lot of people have been using XFCE already, so the decision may
> > have come from the package survey info.
>
> Fair point. However, comparing[3] popcon results for xfce4-session[1]
> and gnome-session[2], less than 4% of debian users use[4] xfce,
> compared to a little over 16% who use gnome.
>
> Hmm. My numbers seem a little suspect there. Is a graphical session
> REALLY used by such a small majority of the userbase?
>

> [1] http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=xfce4-session
> [2] http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=gnome-session
> [3] I'm sure I've seen comparison graphs, but can't find how to do
> that. [4] use = Vote = "number of people who use this package
> regularly

In addition to the other replies, this *is* Debian, one of the major
distributions in the server business. The values for the user-friendly
distributions, even those based on Debian, will probably be much higher.

I have a workstation and server running nothing but Debian, one with a
GUI and one without. The workstation has run LXDE/Openbox since Gnome
3 went into sid. I do still use a number of Gnome applications, so
there's still a fair bit of Gnome in the machine, but not the core.

I do occasionally run sid on my laptop, which is about five years old
and stands less than no chance with Gnome 3. Trust me, you don't want
to run sid occasionally, the updates are a gig or so each time. I have
Xfce on that, to see how it fares against LXDE, but I use it so rarely
that I still don't know. It runs XP most of the time, as I use
peripherals and proprietary software which are Windows-only.

I do have a netbook which runs Ubuntu of a couple of years ago. To be
honest, I don't know much about the works, other than its networking.
I think it runs as light a version of Gnome as was possible then, and
there's no way it will ever handle the current Gnome. The hard drive is
8GB. But it does what I want it to do, which is mostly to be a thin
client to my home server, and it's a fraction of the weight of the
laptop, which is better described as a 'portable computer'.

Knoppix hasn't come on a CD for a long time (I have a copy of one of
the last CD versions, and it fixed a grub problem when nothing else
would) but even on DVD, it has used LXDE for a year or two.

--
Joe