Re: [OT] Will upcoming Debian 8 release default to XFCE for the CD media?

On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 22:31:05 +0100, Keith McKenzie wrote:

> On 8 August 2012 17:23, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I ask because I've read this from two different sources¹ now (the other
>> magazine is written in Spanish), so is this true?

(...)

> The present testing(wheezy) CD-1 gives a choice of Gnome, KDE, XFCE, or
> LXDE but if one is selected, I believe it will be downloaded &
> installed, because when I didn't have a network connection, it only
> installed X & xterm, & not even a WM. I apt-get installed Fluxbox later
> & everything worked OK.

The first CD ISO of Debian has always given the possibility to trigger
the installalation of the desktop environments you mention but only when
using an Internet connection and only GNOME if you are not connected to
the Internet (or manually select to use no mirrors at all).

So, as far as I understand -and since this new change- the only option to
install a DE from the first CD image (and no network link) will be just
XFCE and people wanting to get GNOME right after the installation
finishes will have to either a) get the new ISO image (bigger) or b)
using external repositories when installing -which requires a good/stable
connection.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón