Re: [OT] Will upcoming Debian 8 release default to XFCE for the CD media?

On Wednesday 08 August 2012 1:31:05 pm Keith McKenzie wrote:
> On 8 August 2012 17:23, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Subject says it all.
> >
> > I ask because I've read this from two different sources¹ now (the other
> > magazine is written in Spanish), so is this true?
> >
> > I could only find this mailing list thread² as the official reference but
> > from the comments on there it does not look like a final decision has
> > been taken yet on the proposed change and this is a rather big diversion
> > from the usual default to be passed so inadvertently to the users (yes,
> > plain users do not read "debian-devel" ;-P).
> >
> > ¹http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTE1NTk
> > ²http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/08/msg00029.html
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > --
> > Camaleón
>
> The present testing(wheezy) CD-1 gives a choice of Gnome, KDE, XFCE,
> or LXDE but if one is selected, I believe it will be downloaded &
> installed, because when I didn't have a network connection, it only
> installed X & xterm, & not even a WM. I apt-get installed Fluxbox
> later & everything worked OK.
>
> HTH
> --
> Sent from FOSS (Free Open Source Software)
> Debian GNU/Linux

Installed cd-1 in a Vbox instance, used the 'no network mirror' option.  Without a
mirror  I get two selections in the 'tasksel' dialog .
1. Debian desktop environment
2. standard

This looks like a very large net install image . You will need more than one cd to
have a desktop/ WM environment.

I can remember installing Debian from floppies, it seems cd's are like floppies
now.  One dvd might contain enough for a complete graphical system, have not
looked at the dvd's.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.