Re: multiple swap areas and RAID 1

On 08/08/2012 08:14 PM, � wrote:
On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 16:25:01 +0300, Georgi Naplatanov wrote:

I'm going to configure Debian GNU/Linux with software RAID 1 and I think
to put swap area on RAID 1 (/dev/mdX), but someone told me that if the
computer have multiple swap partition (e.g. /dev/sda2, /dev/sdb2) with
equal priorities, linux kernel will mirror swap area between different
devices. Is that true ? I mean kernel 2.6.32 and 3.2.x.

I guess you mean these two different approaches:

1. Swapping on RAID
https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Why_RAID%3F#Swapping_on_RAID

2. More on Linux RAID: Swap On RAID?
http://blog.taggesell.de/index.php?/archives/53-More-on-Linux-RAID-Swap-On-RAID.html

I'd go for the second: put swap under a raid-1 device; without going too
much deep into the issue, it makes more sense to me.

Greetings,

Hi Camaleón.

I did so - put swap on RAID 1.

I haven't found information about linux kernel possibility of mirroring swap automatically so this is probably misunderstanding or mistake.

Best regards
Georgi