Re: multiple swap areas and RAID 1

On 08/08/12 01:45 PM, Georgi Naplatanov wrote:
On 08/08/2012 08:14 PM, � wrote:
On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 16:25:01 +0300, Georgi Naplatanov wrote:

I'm going to configure Debian GNU/Linux with software RAID 1 and I think
to put swap area on RAID 1 (/dev/mdX), but someone told me that if the
computer have multiple swap partition (e.g. /dev/sda2, /dev/sdb2) with
equal priorities, linux kernel will mirror swap area between different
devices. Is that true ? I mean kernel 2.6.32 and 3.2.x.

I guess you mean these two different approaches:

1. Swapping on RAID
https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Why_RAID%3F#Swapping_on_RAID

2. More on Linux RAID: Swap On RAID?
http://blog.taggesell.de/index.php?/archives/53-More-on-Linux-RAID-Swap-On-RAID.html

I'd go for the second: put swap under a raid-1 device; without going too
much deep into the issue, it makes more sense to me.

Greetings,

Hi Camaleón.

I did so - put swap on RAID 1.

I haven't found information about linux kernel possibility of mirroring swap automatically so this is probably misunderstanding or mistake.

Best regards
Georgi

The basic issue is that putting swap on RAID slows down the writes but can speed up reads. However, because of the error checking and correcting, it's safer. You can also use swap files instead of swap partitions. The speed difference isn't noticeable anymore and swap files are more flexible.