Re: iptables: Protocol wrong type for socket.

Camaleón wrote:
On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 21:10:03 -0500, hvw59601 wrote:

I guess if this is [OT] I will hear about it :-)

Nah, it's fine to me :-)
Anyway, I installed Firehol on a sid system that runs a kernel that I
have configured myself.

However, I get lots of errors when Firehol tries to start, like:

ERROR   : # 1.
WHAT : A runtime command failed to execute (returned error 1). SOURCE : line 31 of /etc/firehol/firehol.conf COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A in_internet -p tcp -m state --state NEW \! --syn -j pr_internet_nosyn OUTPUT :

iptables: Protocol wrong type for socket. ...

I understand the mesage comes from your kernel, I mean, nothing wrong in firehol.

I googled the error and there are lots of hits, but I see no clue as to
what the message actually means.

Obviously I have not configured the kernel correctly because with the
Debian kernels there are no errors.

But what kernel configuration parameter might be missing/wrong?

Can't tell for the exact parameter/option that controls this but what I use to do when have to compile a new kernel is using the current ".config" file which comes along with Debian stock kernel to avoid missing/messing
 something.

But the difference in kernel sizes between a kernel with the Debian .config and one with my own .config for this particular box is huge: 32MB vs. 4MB.

But I figured it out: I compiled 3.4.7 from kernel.org with a .config from Debian's kernel in experimental, 3.5.0. I booted that and compared the lsmod from that with the one of 3.4.7 with my own .config and it turned out that there were 2 modules present in the former that were not in mine: nf_connttrack_ipv4 and nf_defrag_ipv4. I reconfigured and now it works like a charm.

This is all for figuring out
and hibernate times for the various kernels that changed dramatically beginning with 3.2.21-1, from 10s. to 35s.

Strange enough hibernate for 3.4.7 with Debian .config takes 24s. and with my own config 10s. Who knows what is going on.

Thanks Camaleón.

Hugo