Re: iptables: Protocol wrong type for socket.

On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 21:10:03 -0500, hvw59601 wrote:

> I guess if this is [OT] I will hear about it :-)

Nah, it's fine to me :-)

> Anyway, I installed Firehol on a sid system that runs a kernel that I
> have configured myself.
>
> However, I get lots of errors when Firehol tries to start, like:

> ERROR   : # 1.
> WHAT    : A runtime command failed to execute (returned error 1).
> SOURCE  : line 31 of /etc/firehol/firehol.conf
> COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A in_internet -p tcp -m state --state NEW \! --syn -j pr_internet_nosyn
> OUTPUT  :
>
> iptables: Protocol wrong type for socket. ...

I understand the mesage comes from your kernel, I mean, nothing wrong
in firehol.

> I googled the error and there are lots of hits, but I see no clue as to
> what the message actually means.
>
> Obviously I have not configured the kernel correctly because with the
> Debian kernels there are no errors.
>
> But what kernel configuration parameter might be missing/wrong?

Can't tell for the exact parameter/option that controls this but what I
use to do when have to compile a new kernel is using the current ".config"
file which comes along with Debian stock kernel to avoid missing/messing
 something.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón