Re: Installing 3.2 kernel

Brian wrote:

> On Mon 30 Jul 2012 at 19:43:25 +0100, Gary wrote:
>
> > Sven Joachim wrote:

> > > No, squeeze-backports has binary packages (linux-image-3.2*) that you
> > > can just install.
> >

> > That didn't go well :(
>
> It might not be a bad idea to detail what didn't go well. How you went
> about getting the kernel and firmware-ralink packages, commands used,
> which kernel etc.
>
> > I installed the packages, and then the one that that process
> > complained was missing/out of date (our old friend the realtek
> > package). Restarted. After selecting one of the 3.2 kernel options,
> > the computer effectively froze, with lines all over the screen. So
> > badly I had to pull the plug :(
>
> Any progress here?

As mentioned, I installed the binary packages. Essentially I added
http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports to the software
sources, setting Dist to squeeze-backports and Components to main &
non-free. Then I performed
  apt-get -t squeeze-backports install linux-image-3.2
and
  apt-get -t squeeze-backports install firmware-realtek

They seemed to go okay but the system doesn't start with the new
kernels - on startup it gets part way through before covering the
screen with horizontal lines and seems to hang.

The kernel is 3.2.0-0.bpo.2-rt-amd64.