Re: Installer and GPT partitons

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 6:05 AM, Stephan Seitz
<stse+debian@fsing.rootsland.net> wrote:

> When I installed a test VM using debian-wheezy-DI-a1-amd64-netinst.iso I
> used the export mode and manual partitioning.
>
> I chosed GPT and installed grub into the master boot record. No warnings or
> errors occured, and the system booted without problems.
>
> After issuing „dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc” grub displayed warnings that it
> could not embed itself into the master boot record and would use an unsafe
> mode for stage 2 which still worked.
>
> According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS_Boot_partition I have to
> create a small partition with the bios_grub flag if I use GPT instead of
> MBR.
>
> So I installed my test VM againg, but the installer doesn’t offer me the
> choice to give a partition the bios_grub flag. I used parted afterwards, and
> „dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc” didn’t produce any warning anymore.
>
> Is this something that is serious for Wheezy or simply a nice-to-have
> wishlist?

Both the squeeze and wheezy installers allow you to create a biosboot
partition. I think that it's called "Reserved ...".

It's too bad that parted calls it "bios_grub" (GNU publishes both grub
and parted...), gdisk calls it biosboot partition (as does kickstart),
and d-i calls it "Reserved ...". (I think that it's "Reserved BIOS
Boot Area" but I haven't seen this menu in a while.)