Re: startx vs. xdm

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Chris Bannister
<cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 01:31:51PM -0400, John L. Cunningham wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 09:20:02AM -0800, peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
>> > In the process of trying to make xmonad work I've found
>> > that startx fails whereas xdm succeeds.  The logs are here.
>> > startx fails: http://carnot.yi.org/Xorg.0.log.old
>> > xdm succeeds: http://carnot.yi.org/Xorg.0.log
>> >
>> > My summary of the differences follows.
>> >
>> > Any insights to direct further studies?
>>
>> I would only note that startx and xdm don't necessarily look at the same
>> startup files.  xdm looks for .xsession and startx looks for .xinitrc.
>
> I use startx, and only have an .xsessionrc file. I know it is read
> because of the xterm settings.

Resources, whether for xterm, urxvt, or similar, usually are not
configured into .xinitrc, neither .xsession (I never used
.xsessionrc).  Instead they are specified in .Xresources and
.Xdefaults.  However it might be you "xrdb" them from .xsessionrc,
though .Xdefaults the old days was supposed to beloaded automatically
without being loaded through xrdb.

Now, to make both startx and xdm (and other DMs using .xsession) what
is required is to have .xinitrc with execute permissions (.xsession
requires them for for several DMs if I recall correctly since it gets
executed), and then create a link from .xinitrc to .xsession.

Also, from the old days, .Xdefaults can be a link to .Xresources, so
the resources loaded by default are the .Xresources.  Now a days, this
might have changed, some .xininitrc files even evaluate if .Xresources
exists to then "xrdb" them...

Thanks,

--
Javier.