.xinitrc doesn't work, .xsessionrc does! (was ... Re: startx vs. xdm)

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 10:52:58AM -0600, Javier Vasquez wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Chris Bannister
> > I use startx, and only have an .xsessionrc file. I know it is read
> > because of the xterm settings.
>
> Resources, whether for xterm, urxvt, or similar, usually are not
> configured into .xinitrc, neither .xsession (I never used
> .xsessionrc).  Instead they are specified in .Xresources and
> .Xdefaults.  However it might be you "xrdb" them from .xsessionrc,
> though .Xdefaults the old days was supposed to beloaded automatically
> without being loaded through xrdb.
>
> Now, to make both startx and xdm (and other DMs using .xsession) what
> is required is to have .xinitrc with execute permissions (.xsession
> requires them for for several DMs if I recall correctly since it gets
> executed), and then create a link from .xinitrc to .xsession.

If I don't call it .xsessionrc, startx doesn't work, it just dumps me
back to the tty with:

X.Org X Server 1.12.1.902 (1.12.2 RC 2)
Release Date: 2012-05-19
[snip other]
xinit: connection to X server lost

The screen doesn't even flicker.

I am using fvwm, no DM at all.

I have tried, .xinitrc, .xsession, with and without execute permission,
all give above message¹: "xinit: connection to X server lost"

I don't have either an ".Xdefaults" or a ".Xresources" file.

.xsessionrc works whether it is executable or not

¹ I also get that message when I quit fvwm. The point is, X doesn't even
start in this case.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X