Re: Installing - partitioning failing

On 28/07/12 11:41 AM, Gary wrote:
I have a system with a Windows 7 installation (NTFS) which I'd like to
keep and use "alongside" Debian. During the installation process I
reduced the size of the main partition which left a "hole" that the
installer labelled "unusable". I wasn't sure what to do with that, but
tried to use LVM to get it to use that as the place where it should
create a "group" (whatever that is).When I selected it and pressed

Return, the system complained. With a bunch of question marks. There
was no recognisable text at all. After that, the installer can't do
anything with the partitions - it fails to recognise them, I think,
and just springs back to the main menu when I try to select that
option again.

What have I done wrong? How do I fix it? Why is the installer giving
me sh1t? :-(

You can download the gparted .iso file (google it). This will boot into a graphical environment for partitioning your hard disk(s).

You also may want to boot back into Windows and let the Windows chkdsk fix any problems it finds. Windows sometimes does funny things with partitions & filesystems that makes resizing them painful at times.