Re: Purge Empathy messes up apt

Hello cortman,

cortman <c0rtm4n@gmail.com> wrote:
> So I ran "apt-get purge empathy" from
> the command line, which uninstalled it just fine- but now when I run
> apt-get for any other reason it returns a long list of "packages that
> were automatically installed and are no longer required". Below is a
> complete list.

0 15:36 0 claudius@ares: /media/nffs/std $ apt-cache rdepends empathy
empathy
Reverse Depends:
  gnome-core
[...]
  gnome-desktop-environment

Hence, probably gnome-core and/or gnome-desktop-enviroment were also
removed when you removed empathy. These are meta-packages which in
turn pull in all the other packages.

You will hence have to mark these other packages you want to keep as
automatically installed. Probably the best way to do this is to
choose the relevant main packages (for example, "rhythmbox") and do

# apt-get install rhythmbox

which should mark rhythmbox as manually installed (and therefore
won’t propose the removal of, for example, rhythmbox-data).

Of course, you can also just mark all packages as manually installed.

And no, this is not a bug but a feature :)

Best regards,

Claudius
--
              A board is the planck unit of boredom.