Re: To pulse or not to pulse?

Am Donnerstag, 19. Juli 2012 schrieb Adrian Fita:
> On 18/07/12 02:57, Brad Alexander wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Now, I did a little research a couple of weeks ago, and found on the
> > Ubuntu wiki (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio/) that they recommend
> > installing several extra pulse-related packages. Is it worth it? Will
> > it fix my problems? Or is it not worth the effort and should I just
> > nuke pulse from orbit? (It's the only way to be sure...)
> >
> > Opinions and experiences requested and welcome.
>
> I quite like PulseAudio. I haven't had issues with it for about 2-3
> years now. I guess I was lucky and it depends on the machine and the
> audio chip.
>
> A couple a days ago I read a blog post about things to do when having
> issues with audio [1]. I suggest you read those too, maybe it will give
> you some ideas and maybe fixes to your problems.
>
> [1]
> http://voices.canonical.com/david.henningsson/2012/07/13/top-five-wrong
> -ways-to-fix-your-audio/

| 2. Don’t purge PulseAudio

| First, PulseAudio itself isn’t perfect, some of the bindings to
| PulseAudio aren’t perfect, and some of the drivers are not perfect in
| the way PulseAudio wants to use it either. So there might be valid
| reasons to temporarily move it out of your way, even if it would be
| better to actually fix the problem and submit a bug fix patch (if you’re
| capable of doing so).

| But don’t try uninstalling the PulseAudio package, as it has far too
| many dependencies.

Following lots of further instructions.

And how do I tell this to my dad? Good, that I do not have too, cause I
setup the system for me so that it works.

I agree that Pulseaudio became a dependency too soon. Especially when I
see threads like this with all the issues quite some users have.

I am glad that it is not yet a dependency for KDE stuff and hope that it
won´t become one until its a drop-in replacement for everyone that just
used ALSA + dmix before.

In the Linux kernel development community there is a golden rule:

Never break userspace.

I think this rule should be applied to userspace infrastructure daemons as
well:

Never break existing usage scenarios when you want to become a standard
dependency on every distro and desktop.