Re: To pulse or not to pulse?

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 1:29 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-07-18 at 15:57 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> aRts was ESD's counterpart in KDE, IIRC.
>>
>> Anyway, we deserve the price to pay (PA can be complex to setup) for
>> having a full-featured and advanced sound server with interesting
>> capabilities regardless we use all of the features or not.
>
> The sound server issue becomes more annoying with each day. Currently
> it's hip to use Jack with DBus support, a PITA regarding to my needs. I
> wonder how newbies should be able to handle all this stuff.

I don't mind having a variety of sound support options, similar to
other things in the Linux world. You have basic user distros, distros
to use for security and forensics, distros to use as cluster compute
nodes, and so forth. But it is (fairly) clearly marked which is for
what...Or sound software. Or graphics programs. There are those for
beginners and those for the professional.

Unfortunately, the rocks and shoals of backend sound plumbing isn't
clearly marked. Lennart clearly wrote pulse to address this, but I
think it was released too early and adopted too soon.

Just my 2 cents,
--b