Re: To pulse or not to pulse?

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 19:57:58 -0400, Brad Alexander wrote:

(...)

> So I tried to like pulse, tried to get along with it, but I'm having a
> really hard time with it. I am running sid with kde 4.x, and, to give
> one example (there are several I have noticed), when playing music with
> Amarok, every time a screen issue happens (e.g. when the screen saver
> kicks in, or when the track changes and Amarok kicks up a dialog with
> the name/artist of the next track, the sound goes wonky and sounds like
> it is underwater. Sometimes this will clear up on its own after a few
> minutes, but other times it doesn't or I want it fixed
> immediately...Then I can slide the master volume down and back up in
> kmix (sometimes it takes twice). Very frustrating.
>
> Now, I did a little research a couple of weeks ago, and found on the
> Ubuntu wiki (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio/) that they recommend
> installing several extra pulse-related packages. Is it worth it? Will it
> fix my problems? Or is it not worth the effort and should I just nuke
> pulse from orbit? (It's the only way to be sure...)

Ask yourself if you really need PA in your system.

I'm very happy with the old ESD and still have not found a hard
requirement for using a different sound server although I know that PA
will be in my systems when I install wheezy but nothing I will do on
purpose.

That said, I guess the integration of PA with KDE will be better with the
latest versions and Sid should be now at 4.8 thus troubles with PA should
be less.

Regarding your question of "keeping PA or not" I would give it a chance,
read the official docs¹ and if nothing helps to alleviate the cranky-
underwater sound and problems persist I would then reconsider my
decision. KDE users can be considered lucky if PA is not a hard
dependency for them :-)

¹http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Desktops/KDE

Greetings,

--