Can't boot into MS Windows partition

The first partition of my second hard disk (/dev/sdb1) is occupied by Windows
XP.  It is and old install and I haven't booted into it for a couple of years.
(I seem to remember that, when I installed Debian on the actual first hd
(/dev/sda1), I had momentarily put the other hd off, but am not sure.)  Now I
don't manage to boot into Windows partition any more.  /boot/grub/menu.lst
properly includes

title		Microsoft Windows XP Professional
root		(hd1,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader	+1

, and it's correct I think (hd1,0) (first partition of the second hd), but when
I try to boot into it the following appears:

  Booting 'Microsoft Windows XP Professional'

root   (hd1,0)
 Filesystem type is fat, partition type 0xc
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader	+1

and nothing happens.  I also tried to install Windows boot loader to the master
boot record, with:

   # grub
   grub > root (hd1,0)
   grub > setup (hd1)
   grub > quit

, but grub complains that it doesn't find the file /boot/grub/stage1, which is
on the contrary there.

Please help on this issue.  Thanks in advance
Rodolfo