Re: Can't boot into MS Windows partition

On Tue 17 Jul 2012 at 15:21:42 +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> The first partition of my second hard disk (/dev/sdb1) is occupied by Windows
> XP.  It is and old install and I haven't booted into it for a couple of years.

A Lenny install? Older?

> (I seem to remember that, when I installed Debian on the actual first hd
> (/dev/sda1), I had momentarily put the other hd off, but am not sure.)  Now I
> don't manage to boot into Windows partition any more.  /boot/grub/menu.lst
> properly includes

GRUB legacy, which is what you are using, was abandonned five years ago.
It's demise is mourned but, while it may work on your installation and
could be repaired, the reality is GRUB 2 is in constant development and
there are more people around who have experience of it to help.

You should consider either upgrading from Lenny(?) to Squeeze or a new
install of Squeeze. If it is an old install you may not care either way.