Re: Can't boot into MS Windows partition

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 15:21:42 +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> The first partition of my second hard disk (/dev/sdb1) is occupied by
> Windows XP.  It is and old install and I haven't booted into it for a
> couple of years. (I seem to remember that, when I installed Debian on
> the actual first hd (/dev/sda1), I had momentarily put the other hd off,
> but am not sure.)  Now I don't manage to boot into Windows partition any
> more.  /boot/grub/menu.lst properly includes
>
> title		Microsoft Windows XP Professional
> root		(hd1,0)
> savedefault
> makeactive
> chainloader	+1
>
> , and it's correct I think (hd1,0) (first partition of the second hd),
> but when I try to boot into it the following appears:
>
>   Booting 'Microsoft Windows XP Professional'
>
> root   (hd1,0)
>  Filesystem type is fat, partition type 0xc
> savedefault
> makeactive
> chainloader	+1
>
> and nothing happens.

(...)

You can try to manaully boot from GRUB legacy. When you are in GRUB's
menu, Jump to a console ("c") and type the commands from there. For
instance, as you seemed to swap (well, "disconnect") one of the disks
maybe you need to "map" the drives first:

map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
chainloader +1