Re: User group in SW Missouri?

> Heheh.  I spent my first 18 years in rural Missouri town 2 hours North
> of K.C., population ~2000.  I've lived in Missouri all my life, 15 in
> the St. Louis metro.
>
> I attended one SLUG (St. Louis Linux Users Group) meeting while in St.
> Louis, with my manager at the time, who was the SLUG president.  This
> was in 2006.  Less than 20 people attended that day, all sysadmins or
> managers at local corps/unis/K-12 schools.  It was a lunch meeting, as
> were almost all of them.  We ate sandwiches as a Linux software vendor
> gave a presentation.  I can't recall which one it was or the product.
>
> I understand from conversations with said manager that this was the
> typical SLUG meeting.  There was no user-user interaction WRT anything
> technical, no knowledge exchange, no mentoring of any kind.  Neither the
> organization nor the meetings were intended for this purpose.  This may
> simply be unique to SLUG.  The K.C. and other LUGs around the US may be
> different.  But now you understand my "pessimism".
>
> Rather than attending LUG meetings to achieve your goal, I'd suggest
> auditing a Linux night course at a local college or uni.  There's bound
> to be some kid in the class eager to show off his skills and tutor an
> "old guy".  As a former college student decades ago, I still recall that
> free pizza was a strong motivator. ;)
>
> --
> Stan

St.Louis local here and I was actually considering checking out the
local User-Group, but that's what I "feared". I mean I have nothing
against a "boys-club" of sorts, but what I'm looking for is a group of
people that'll push-me though the backend of a GNU/Linux based system
and not feel agitated/obliged to do so.

The local and/or community college-esque route might be a good way to go
too, though. :-)