Re: User group in SW Missouri?

On 7/14/2012 4:17 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> On 7/14/2012 9:39 AM, Chris wrote:
>>> On this topic, is there someting near the Peoria Illinois area?
>>
>>> From: "Richard Owlett"<rowlett@cloud85.net>
>>
>>> I knew of groups in the St. Louis and Kansas City areas.
>>
>> In my experience these gatherings serve mostly a social function, not a
>> technical/learning function.  Are you seeking camaraderie or knowledge
>> exchange?  If the former I'd suggest the local bar&  grill.  If the
>> latter, simply participate in online fora.  In small market areas,
>> you'll be hard pressed to find a UNIX/Linux users group, let alone a
>> Windows group.  Your odds of finding regular LAN parties is likely much
>> greater.  If you want to spend time with other computer geeks, and
>> you're into gaming, LAN party is prolly your best bet.
>>

> You pessimist YOU ;/
> I do not know about Chris, but I'm looking for face-to-face time with
> some one more Linux qualified than I. NOT a really restrictive
> requirement ;/
>
> There *IS* a reason for our designation as "fly over country". Not to
> mention that within 1000 sq miles cattle, hogs, &/or poultry each
> outnumber homo-sapiens.

Heheh.  I spent my first 18 years in rural Missouri town 2 hours North
of K.C., population ~2000.  I've lived in Missouri all my life, 15 in
the St. Louis metro.

I attended one SLUG (St. Louis Linux Users Group) meeting while in St.
Louis, with my manager at the time, who was the SLUG president.  This
was in 2006.  Less than 20 people attended that day, all sysadmins or
managers at local corps/unis/K-12 schools.  It was a lunch meeting, as
were almost all of them.  We ate sandwiches as a Linux software vendor
gave a presentation.  I can't recall which one it was or the product.

I understand from conversations with said manager that this was the
typical SLUG meeting.  There was no user-user interaction WRT anything
technical, no knowledge exchange, no mentoring of any kind.  Neither the
organization nor the meetings were intended for this purpose.  This may
simply be unique to SLUG.  The K.C. and other LUGs around the US may be
different.  But now you understand my "pessimism".

Rather than attending LUG meetings to achieve your goal, I'd suggest
auditing a Linux night course at a local college or uni.  There's bound
to be some kid in the class eager to show off his skills and tutor an
"old guy".  As a former college student decades ago, I still recall that
free pizza was a strong motivator. ;)

--
Stan