Re: Loadlin and Squeeze kernel 2.6.32

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 09:06:55 -0400, Tom H wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 8:18 AM, Martin Steigerwald
> <Martin@lichtvoll.de> wrote:
>>> Am Samstag, 7. Juli 2012 schrieb Camaleón:

(...)

>>> Thanks for the explanation. I asked because if what you wanted is
>>> keeping  things separate (e.g., windows and linuxes boxes) there is
>>> another approach to consider (at least this was possible with openSUSE
>>> that allowed to install "generic code" into the MBR -I miss this
>>> option from Debian installer though-): install each GRUB in its own
>>> partition (instead the MBR) and mark with the "bootable" flag the
>>> desired partition with GRUB on it. This way you have as many GRUBs as
>>> linuxes installed to boot (thus if one fails you can go with the rest)
>>> and Windows is happy with this because you don't have to reinstall all
>>> over again the bootloader when (re)installing the system.
>>
>> AFAIK this calls for block list based installation of GRUB 2 which is
>> not recommended cause it introduces the same issues than map file in
>> LILO.

I don't know what you mean here. Installing GRUB in the first sector of a
partition instead the MBR has been always possible (also documented) and
nothing to be avoided "per se". Can you expand this?

(...)

> Cameleon: You can choose to install grub2 to a PBR by refusing to
> install it to the MBR. d-i'll prompt you to provide a device - and it
> accepts a partition.

Yes, I know.

But AFAICT, installing nothing in the MBR (e.g., from a low level
formatted hard disk) is not the same than having "generic boot code"
here. I don't know if Windows (or any other operating system) will be
happy to boot from no man's land.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón