Re: Loadlin and Squeeze kernel 2.6.32

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 8:18 AM, Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de> wrote:
>> Am Samstag, 7. Juli 2012 schrieb Camaleón:
>>>
>>> Because it works for me. I've kept installs of previous versions of
>>> Debian on separate partitions for reference as well as the fact that
>>> by doing so I'll have a working install while getting a newer version
>>> setup. Also when I first started using Linux I had Redhat, Slackware
>>> and Debian all installed at the same time and would switch from one
>>> to another while still keeping my DOS install working for the
>>> important stuff. It wasn't 'til I installed Solaris and a couple of
>>> BSD variants that I used a boot loader in the mbr and when that
>>> drive died I never felt the need to go back to Lilo or grub. If
>>> loadlin were able to launch the kernel installed with Squeeze I
>>> still wouldn't be using grub.
>>
>> Thanks for the explanation. I asked because if what you wanted is
>> keeping  things separate (e.g., windows and linuxes boxes) there is
>> another approach to consider (at least this was possible with openSUSE
>> that allowed to install "generic code" into the MBR -I miss this
>> option from Debian installer though-): install each GRUB in its own
>> partition (instead the MBR) and mark with the "bootable" flag the
>> desired partition with GRUB on it. This way you have as many GRUBs as
>> linuxes installed to boot (thus if one fails you can go with the rest)
>> and Windows is happy with this because you don't have to reinstall all
>> over again the bootloader when (re)installing the system.
>
> AFAIK this calls for block list based installation of GRUB 2 which is not
> recommended cause it introduces the same issues than map file in LILO.

Martin: Installing grub2 to a PBR (with "grub-install --force
/dev/sdXY) and therefore using block lists is theoretically less
robust than installing grub2 to an MBR but there are enough people
using block lists with grub and lilo that this claim seems to be
almost-FUD...

Cameleon: You can choose to install grub2 to a PBR by refusing to
install it to the MBR. d-i'll prompt you to provide a device - and it
accepts a partition.