Re: Iceweasel trouble, anyone else?

On Wed, 2012-07-11 at 22:25 -0400, Eike Lantzsch wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 July 2012 21:21:11 Rob Owens wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 07:20:45PM -0400, Eike Lantzsch wrote:
> > > Hi:
> > >
> > > Debian testing, i386, KDE 4.8.4, iceweasel 13.0.1
> > >
> > > Lately iceweasel suddenly started to blank all text on webpages of
> > > different sites. Usually restarting iceweasel helped (sort of). But now
> > > even after a restart it comes up with pages mostly blank, no text and
> > > even the menu text and titles on the toolbars disappear when manouvering
> > > three or four clicks.
> >
> > This is a long shot, but...
> Scuttled!
> >
> > I recently had issues with iceweasel using 80% of my CPU.  I tried
> > upgrading from 3.something to 10.something in the mozilla.debian.net
> > repos.  That didn't fix it.
> >
> > I remembered that I had a kernel upgrade recently (from the backports
> > repo), and I had never rebooted.  Rebooting fixed my iceweasel issue.
> Of course, if the upgrade slips in new modules or core libraries while still
> the old kernel is loaded, that causes all kinds of problems ...
> >
> > -Rob
>
> I logged out, tried a fresh user and logged back in. Iceweasel was back to
> normal - until it happens again. I don't consider that "fixed" but it helps me
> trudging along.
> I strongly suspect the x-server. But nothing really tangible.
> Oxygen theme has some glitches too but no show-stoppers.
> I switched to Qt curve theme. Will see how it behaves.
>
> I reported the problem to the Firefox developers.
>
> Kind regards,
> Eike

a suggestion when you have time. Try removing the ./iceweasel file in
the user directory of the user that does not work. then log back in and
restart the iceweasel or fire fox or what ever. sometimes that file gets
corrupted or becomes incompatible if an update is done and iceweasel
does't rewrite the correct start up schema. That is an experience I have
incurred several times with browsers & e-mail apps, esp. evolution.
frosty