Re: Shutting down error

On Thu 12 Jul 2012 at 16:03:58 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> I'm running an updated wheezy and since weeks ago, when shutting down (or
> restarting) the system I can see this message:
>
> [FAIL] Killing all remaining processes... failed.
>
> (here is a snapshot)
>
> http://picpaste.com/shutdown_error-rEoKsztL.png
>
> There are no more errors (I mean, system is running fine), but seeing
> "red" letters with a "failed" word all in one line is a bit scaring.
> Well, what really worries me is the fact the message is consistent (it
> happens at every shutdown/restart) and has not dissapeared yet and I'm
> seeing it since long time... :-)
>
> Anyone seeing this message? If not, how could I debug what is generating
> this?

I get this message too, but know why in my case. The OS is on a USB
stick and /var/log is mounted on tmpfs. Being lazy and not easily scared
I have not yet set up a way of writing to disk when the machine is shut
down. Commenting out the relevant entry in /etc/fstab sees it go away.

The reason for your getting the same message may be different from mine,
of course. But it does appear logging (or the failure to log) is at the
root of it.