Re: Installing a new HDD and mounting others

On 10/07/12 10:02 AM, Camaleón wrote:
On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 19:47:31 +0200, Mark Panen wrote:

I have followed this except to replace ext3 with ext4:

http://linux.justinhartman.com/Installing_a_second_hard_drive

I installed a new HDD and installed Squeeze on it.

When i open My Computer in Gnome i can see and mount the other two
HDD's.

But i cannot get the /etc/fstab entry right, on boot i get fsck errors
on the other two HDD's.
Fsck? Are you sure? :-?

Those errors can be important, can you post them?
This is expected. fsck /dev/sda will give an error since it can't find a file system.

Mount them with:

mount -t ext4 /dev/hdc1 /new-disk as an example works once the system is
up.

but the /etc/fstab example does not when i reboot.

Is it perhaps that i have the boot flag entry on the other two HDD's?
Unless you are using an old kernel (lenny or ealier releases) I would
mount the partitions by their "uuid" (or id/label/path), avoid using the
old naming system (/dev/sda1...) to ensure you are calling the "right"
device and using "uuid" will be the best option for this.

You can get the partitions "uuid" by:

ls -la /dev/disk/by-uuid/

Then adjust the "/etc/fstab" entry accordingly and verify the mount point
is already set.

Greetings,
Reasonable advice normally, but first I'd try to understand /etc/fstab. This seems to be his problem. He's put in entries without understanding what they mean. Replacing a device name with a UUID is optional and can be done easily once he's got his /etc/fstab working properly.