Re: Installing a new HDD and mounting others

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 09:13:13 -0400, Gary Dale wrote:

> On 10/07/12 10:02 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 19:47:31 +0200, Mark Panen wrote:

(...)

>>> But i cannot get the /etc/fstab entry right, on boot i get fsck errors
>>> on the other two HDD's.
>> Fsck? Are you sure? :-?
>>
>> Those errors can be important, can you post them?

> This is expected. fsck /dev/sda will give an error since it can't find a
> file system.

I can't tell (my crystal ball is out of range) so I prefer to be sure
about the nature of the errors the OP is experiencing.

>>> Mount them with:
>>>
>>> mount -t ext4 /dev/hdc1 /new-disk as an example works once the system
>>> is up.
>>>
>>> but the /etc/fstab example does not when i reboot.
>>>
>>> Is it perhaps that i have the boot flag entry on the other two HDD's?

>> Unless you are using an old kernel (lenny or ealier releases) I would
>> mount the partitions by their "uuid" (or id/label/path), avoid using
>> the old naming system (/dev/sda1...) to ensure you are calling the
>> "right" device and using "uuid" will be the best option for this.
>>
>> You can get the partitions "uuid" by:
>>
>> ls -la /dev/disk/by-uuid/
>>
>> Then adjust the "/etc/fstab" entry accordingly and verify the mount
>> point is already set.
>>
> Reasonable advice normally, but first I'd try to understand /etc/fstab.

Understanding "/etc/fstab" also involves using the proper device naming.

> This seems to be his problem. He's put in entries without understanding
> what they mean. Replacing a device name with a UUID is optional and can
> be done easily once he's got his /etc/fstab working properly.

When using a modern kernel that's is more than "optional" but highly
recommended or you can end up with an unbootable system or messed mount
points.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón