Re: Squeeze, MySQL and hosts.allow and hosts.deny ignored

On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 20:11:10 +0200, Zdenek Herman wrote:

(please, reply at the bottom)

> Dne 9.7.2012 16:52, Camaleón napsal(a):
>> On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 22:26:11 +0200, Zdenek Herman wrote:
>>
>> (...)
>>
>>> When I set hosts.deny ALL: ALL and hosts.allow is empty. I can allow
>>> connect to MySQL from anywhere - settings in hosts.allow and
>>> hosts.deny are ignored.
>> (...)
>>
>> I wonder if you aren't just missing the daemon to filter (mysqld) :-?
>>
>> cat /etc/hosts.deny

> My hosts.deny

(...)

> ALL: ALL : spawn ( echo $(date '+%%d.%%m.%%y %%T') access DENIED from %u@%h [%a] >> /var/log/tcp_wrapper/%d.log ) &

(...)

> My hosts.allow

(...)

> sshd: 192.168.1.1 \
>      : spawn ( echo $(date '+%%d.%%m.%%y %%T') access ALLOWED from %u@%h [%a] >> /var/log/tcp_wrapper/%d.log ) &

And you said this was working for the sshd service, right?

> I tested with mysqld: ALL in hosts.deny too.

Well, that should prevent connections coming from the same host (localhost)
unless you explicitely allow it from the hosts.allow, that has preference.

I don't know why does not work for you. Take a look into this article that
shows a few samples for using mysql with tcp wrappers:

http://www.unixmen.com/securing-services-with-tcp-wrappers/

And also read the manual ("man hosts_options"), maybe we are omitting
something obvious...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón