Re: getting gnome 3

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 6:19 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> You'll be forced to upgrade to GNOME3.

Yes, and and that forced upgrade comes from more than just Debian.

> I see no gnome2/gnome3 packaging differentiation as it happened with kde3/
> kde4 in its early stage, most sure because gnome3 is now stable enough to
> be safely included by default.

It's because the GNOME team deliberately broke the ability to keep
both GNOME 2 and GNOME 3 at the same time.  While effort could be
expended to allow them to live side by side, the API uses the same
names for functions and yet are incompatible with each other.  GNOME
upstream decided that they didn't want people able to have both.
Since GNOME has moved forward with version 3, they reason, everyone
else must be forced to move forward, as well.

While I use GNOME Shell on my desktop and don't mind it so much (I
don't care about its features, I just use it as a window manager), I
think this attitude on the part of the GNOME developers is
inexcusable.

--
Chris