Re: getting gnome 3

On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 15:03:19 -0500, Christofer C. Bell wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 6:19 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> You'll be forced to upgrade to GNOME3.
>
> Yes, and and that forced upgrade comes from more than just Debian.

Exactly. That's an upstream decision (while GNOME 2 is still supported no
more enhancements are planned) and keeping GNOME 2 in paralel would have
caused many headaches, bor both developers and users.

Anyway, what finally matters (at least IMO) is if the transition from
GNOME 2 to GNOME 3 was smoothly done or not. I can say that yes, it was
done quite satisfactorily. I know there are still some things that are
not working as they should but the overall gnome-shell environment does a
good job.

>> I see no gnome2/gnome3 packaging differentiation as it happened with
>> kde3/ kde4 in its early stage, most sure because gnome3 is now stable
>> enough to be safely included by default.
>
> It's because the GNOME team deliberately broke the ability to keep both
> GNOME 2 and GNOME 3 at the same time.  While effort could be expended to
> allow them to live side by side, the API uses the same names for
> functions and yet are incompatible with each other.  GNOME upstream
> decided that they didn't want people able to have both. Since GNOME has
> moved forward with version 3, they reason, everyone else must be forced
> to move forward, as well.

Kudos to Debian GNOME team then :-)

Greetings,

--