Re: Debian stable chromium does not open Facebook

John W. Foster wrote:
> Not sure what the issue is, but, I recently installed debian stable
> chromium and set it as the default browser.

This is one of areas where I completely disagree with the Debian
methodology.  Debian shipped Chromium and Firefox/Iceweasel in their
stable release.  That was bad.  It was bad because it allowed you to
install it thinking it would be what you wanted.  But it isn't.  It
can't be.  It's availability causes problems.

Also not having it would also cause problems.  The upstream release
model is to modify and release it every few weeks.  That type of
release model is incompatible with a stable operating system release
model.

In my opinion the best case would be putting fast moving web browsers
into one of the "volatile" areas such as the previously named
"debian-volatile" repository now somewhat confusingly known as
"squeeze-updates".  That would have been better than Stable main.  It
should track upstream closer than is allowed by the rules of main.

The Debian Iceweasel team has addressed this problem by creating an
additional supplemental repository with newer Firefox versions.  This
is located at:

  http://mozilla.debian.net/

Note that this is at debian.net and not debian.org and represents an
addition to Debian but strictly speaking is not part of the Debian
release infrastructure.  But it is of high quality and works well with
it within the limitations imposed by the upstream.  I recommend using
it for Debian Stable desktop browsing.

For example at this moment Iceweasel in Debian Stable is 3.5.16.  A
debian-backport from Unstable is available at 10.0.5esr.  The latest
available is 13.0.1 from mozilla.debian.net (also available in
Experimental).  The 3.5 version in Debian Stable is now looking very
unsuitable for general purpose use on the fast changing external world
wide web.

[As a side discussion, with the Firefox ESR versions there are now two
tracks available.  There is a more stable Extended Stable Release in
addition to the latest bleeding edge.  Since Unstable is a development
track for Testing and Stable then this is the version in Unstable.
The latest version is available in Experimental.]

Unfortunately there is not an equivalent repository for Chromium.
There could be.  It would be wonderful if there were.  But at this
time no one has gone through the work to actually do it.  This leaves
Chromium users of Debian Stable at a disadvantage as compared to
Firefox/Iceweasel users.

Because of this I cannot recommend Chromium use for Debian Stable
users.  Instead I think you should use Firefox/Iceweasel from the
instructions at the http://mozilla.debian.net/ page.

However I do actually support a group that is using Chromium as their
default browser on Debian Stable.  I do so by using a Sid chroot.  By
using Sid's archive on Stable it allows me to support the current
Chromium version with little effort.  This isn't trivial to set up but
it is relatively easy.  It would be too much detail to go into here
but basically debootstrap a Sid chroot and then mount it up such that
local users running chromium invoke the Sid version.

This works acceptably well.  There are some drawbacks.  Notably when
users download files such as .doc files they cannot open them with the
system's libreoffice directly from chromium since that would open them
in the chroot and I am not providing libreoffice in the chroot.
Instead after downloading they must open the document from the system
such as through a file manager.  Issues like this are why the
Iceweasel solution from mozilla.debian.net is better.  But this does
provide the latest Chromium running on Stable which would otherwise
not be available.

Bob