Re: OT: need a simple CMS / website builder

On Jul 7, 2012, at 1:19 PM, Rob Owens wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 05:05:09PM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
>> My kids want to make their own webpages.  I intend to host them on my
>> own server and limit who has access to them.  I need some
>> recommendations.  Wordpress?  Drupal?  This will be on a Squeeze system.
>>
> Thanks for all the advice so far.  I intend to test all the
> recommendations.  But for now I'm testing wordpress and I've run into an
> issue:
>
> Apache's default document root is /var/www
>
> Wordpress wants to put everything in /srv/www
>
> So which location is "correct" for websites?
>
> I know how to change Apache's document root.  I'm working on how to
> change Wordpress' default root.  I suppose I could solve this by
> symlinking /srv/www to /var/www, but I'd like to hear some advice before
> proceeding.

You're using the Debian WP package? I recently went through the same trouble.
Look at the README that came with the .deb. In there are 3 (IIRC) ways to
make the Debian package work with Apache.

Debian puts the code in /usr/share, and the configs in /etc/wordpress. It's
somewhat different from the way WP wants to do it.

The one I used had to do with creating an alias in the main Apache2 config.
Worked like a champ.

Don't pay any attention to what WP says. Not much, anyway.

I wanted to use the .deb so I'd get updates and fixes from the Debian repos.

--
Glenn English
hand-wrapped from my Apple Mail