Re: Loadlin and Squeeze kernel 2.6.32

On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 19:19:20 -0400 (EDT), Mike McClain wrote:

> I've used loadlin.exe for years but with my recent install of
> Squeeze loadlin reboots the computer rather than launching Debian.
>
> The flip side of the issue is that grub2 resets the computer
> trying to launch kernels that loadlin launches with no problem.
>
> Can anyone point me at info other than the sources (over my head)
> to explain the problem and/or a solution?

If I recall correctly, LOADLIN tries to load both the kernel and
the initial RAM file system below the 15M line, and with modern
Linux kernels, there just isn't enough room down there.  You may be
able to extend the life of LOADLIN by creating a stripped-down
initrd.  For example, create or edit a file called
/etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/driver-policy and specify

   MODULES=dep

in there, then re-build your initial RAM file system with

   update-initramfs -uk $(uname -r)

Do this while the kernel of interest is running.  Then shutdown
and boot DOS, then try LOADLIN again.  But I don't know if
LOADLIN is being actively maintained anymore.  If I were you,
I'd switch to LILO.  That is what I use.  My LILO web page may
be helpful to you in that regard.

   http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/lilo.htm

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell