Re: Small xorg?

> On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 06:29:55PM -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
>>     Any recommendations for a small, compact version of X (limited features
>>     OK) for an old Thinkpad 240X -- max RAM 192MB (design limit.  won't
> take
>>     more.  tried.), 500MHz P3, 800x600 screen--to install Squeeze on?
>  I'm
>>     running Etch and XFCE on it currently.  Want to see if I can install a
>>     supported version of Debian with a small window manager without the
> bloat
>>     of a full size X.
>>     I really like this notebook for travel--what I got it for originally
>>     before netbooks existed.  Great keyboard--I do a lot of typing.
>  Don't
>>     want to put it in a closet to gather dust.  Waste not, want not. ;-)
>>     Patrick
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm not entirely sure what you're asking for here. If you're
> strictly
> asking for a low-memory version of Xorg, then I think your only option
> is to recompile it. As far as I'm aware, there is only one variant of
> Xorg in Debian, but if you fetch the source and play around with
> compiler optimizations, removal of features (for example, you may decide
> you don't need autodiscovery of devices) and perhaps even different
> compilers (clang is the current hotshot), then you may find you can
> reduce the memory footprint.

Compiling X is one thing I've reluctantly considered, but would like to find a small binary, if possible, so I can just apt-get install it.  Less work.  Did find this, however:

http://agentoss.wordpress.com/2011/03/06/building-a-tiny-x-org-linux-system-using-buildroot/

> Next up, if you're after ANY X server (not necesarily the Xorg
> implementation), then Wikipedia suggests that Xorg and XFree86 are about
> your only options on Linux. You might, however, find that
> not-quite-X-servers such as MicroXwin are more to your taste. MicroXWin
> claims binary compatibility with XServers, so you should be able to run
> your existing programs with it.

Others have suggested just a frame buffer like XVesa or FBDirect.  Investigating that option.

> Finally, if you're happy with your X server, but are looking for a
> lighter-weight window manager/destop environment... Oh, never mind, I've
> just spotted you're running XFCE. That's fairly lightweight, but you may
> find programs such as heliwm or swm more applicable.

Yes, using XFCE, but even so, after boot, system uses 132+- MB, leaving only 55 to 60 MB free.  Hit the swap frequently even only running a couple of apps.  Need lighter options.  Small WM to be sure.  The only thing left is a small X or something similar.

Patrick