Re: Small xorg?

On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 06:29:55PM -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
>    Any recommendations for a small, compact version of X (limited features
>    OK) for an old Thinkpad 240X -- max RAM 192MB (design limit.  won't take
>    more.  tried.), 500MHz P3, 800x600 screen--to install Squeeze on?  I'm
>    running Etch and XFCE on it currently.  Want to see if I can install a
>    supported version of Debian with a small window manager without the bloat
>    of a full size X.
>    I really like this notebook for travel--what I got it for originally
>    before netbooks existed.  Great keyboard--I do a lot of typing.  Don't
>    want to put it in a closet to gather dust.  Waste not, want not. ;-)
>    Patrick

Hi,

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking for here. If you're strictly
asking for a low-memory version of Xorg, then I think your only option
is to recompile it. As far as I'm aware, there is only one variant of
Xorg in Debian, but if you fetch the source and play around with
compiler optimizations, removal of features (for example, you may decide
you don't need autodiscovery of devices) and perhaps even different
compilers (clang is the current hotshot), then you may find you can
reduce the memory footprint.

Next up, if you're after ANY X server (not necesarily the Xorg
implementation), then Wikipedia suggests that Xorg and XFree86 are about
your only options on Linux. You might, however, find that
not-quite-X-servers such as MicroXwin are more to your taste. MicroXWin
claims binary compatibility with XServers, so you should be able to run
your existing programs with it.

Finally, if you're happy with your X server, but are looking for a
lighter-weight window manager/destop environment... Oh, never mind, I've
just spotted you're running XFCE. That's fairly lightweight, but you may
find programs such as heliwm or swm more applicable.