Re: CD/DVD diagnostic tools needed

On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 09:30:21 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> I'm having various random problems installing from Live CD's. The
> problems are weird, inconsistent, and intermittent. The first thing is
> to determine whether or not I have faulty hardware, be it the target box
> or the box that burns the CD.

Optical media is more and more becoming a complete headache. Have you
considered installing from USB stick instead?

Anyway, for inconsistent errors (now works, now doesn't), sometimes is
better to replace the DVD drive for a new one (specially when is "old"
for today standards which means 4/5 years), and given their current
prices (~25€) that's something affordable.

http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/index.en.html#verify

>    2. verify target system reads CD/DVD correctly.

(...)

Is your CD/DVD reader capable of booting from it?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón