Re: CD/DVD diagnostic tools needed

Camaleón wrote:
On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 09:30:21 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

I'm having various random problems installing from Live CD's. The
problems are weird, inconsistent, and intermittent. The first thing is
to determine whether or not I have faulty hardware, be it the target box
or the box that burns the CD.

Optical media is more and more becoming a complete headache.

Why? The usual trend is for products to improve as they mature.
Is it media related? I only use write once media as I've had no interest in adding to &/or modifying what is already on a CD {self defeating for my usage style ;}

Is it application related? My *APPARENT & NOTICEABLE* symptoms have Debian 6.x related. I've a collection of LiveCD's and standalone diagnostic CD's that I use without problems. I'm about to do another Ubuntu 10.10 test install. If that goes well, I'll burn a copy of the ISO to a DVD of the same production batch used for my Debian install.

I'm a slow typist - test install completed without apparent symptoms.

Hmmm - now that I stop and think about it.
I believe all observed symptoms revolve around root password not being recognized.
And Ubuntu forcibly prohibits root passwords.

Further musings - I believe all working installs have been to sda1 - i.e. a physical partition. All others have been to a partition under sda2 - an extended partition.

I see a set of diagnostic installs in my future - same distro to physical partition and to a partition under an extended partition. [I hesitated to say LVM until I double check definitions.]

Have you considered installing from USB stick instead?

Yes. But by personality I'm the type that will the "WHY?" of a failure before looking for a workaround. Besides I've the time to do the grunt work of repetitive testing for the underpinnings of a decent bug report even if I don't have the skills to fix it.

Anyway, for inconsistent errors (now works, now doesn't), sometimes is
better to replace the DVD drive for a new one (specially when is "old"
for today standards which means 4/5 years), and given their current
prices (~25€) that's something affordable.

Cost of a replacement drive is not an issue. As I prefer brick-n-mortar it would be 8 hour round trip to get one. I'm in *VERY* RURAL south west Missouri (livestock much more common than people ;)

I've already run memtest86 and Seagate disk diagnostics demonstrating
that problems from that area is unlikely.

I need two diagnostics:
    1. verify what's on the CD matches the ISO from which it
was generated.
       [already have verified that the downloaded MD5SUM
matches repository]

http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/index.en.html#verify

debian.org reminds me of the original CPM-80 manual, info there but dense in all possible connotations of the word

Perhaps I should have specified I was looking for end user friendly tool.

    2. verify target system reads CD/DVD correctly.

(...)

Is your CD/DVD reader capable of booting from it?

yes

Greetings,