CD/DVD diagnostic tools needed

I'm having various random problems installing from Live CD's.
The problems are weird, inconsistent, and intermittent.
The first thing is to determine whether or not I have faulty hardware, be it the target box or the box that burns the CD.

I've already run memtest86 and Seagate disk diagnostics demonstrating that problems from that area is unlikely.

I need two diagnostics:
1. verify what's on the CD matches the ISO from which it was generated. [already have verified that the downloaded MD5SUM matches repository]
  2. verify target system reads CD/DVD correctly.

For the first I require both Linux and Windows versions.
The second should probably be a Live CD itself.

Any ideas?
TIA