Re: Filezilla a security risk

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 21:03:58 +0200, Denis Witt wrote:

(...)

>> and hey, it's open source! You can hire a programmer, make a fork
>> ("FileZilla-S" for secure) and add all the enhancements you want ;-
>
> Forking a program for a single little feature doesn't make a lot of
> sense to me.

If you value so much that feature and you really like the application,
why not?

> Either you will have to patch the upstream version every now and then
> or you end up with a Fork that doesn't get any new features, also it
> might confuses some users.

Then move on :-)

But remmember this is very common for another programs. In Windows
systems, for instance, the login credentials of many applications remain
stored accessible from the registry so no gain here. In the linux
ecosphere, as I already mentioned (i.e., mutt, the ssl keys and another
one I remember is phpmyadmin when using a determined auth type), it
happens the same.

I wonder if a feasible approach to store credentials in clear text for
FileZilla would be using something like the gnome-keyring or a similar
implementation for the different OSes or linux boxes, although of course,
this would add additional drawbacks.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón