Re: Where does Debian define/specify "standard bundles"?

[reformatted to bottom posting]

Keith McKenzie wrote:
On 28/06/2012, Richard Owlett<rowlett@cloud85.net>  wrote:
Camaleón wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 10:31:26 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

In trying to find a reasonable way to create a custom installation I
came across http://www.instalinux.com . I gather from what is on its
site and several reviews it creates the equivalent of a customized
netinst iso by using preseed files.

At one point the site allows the user to select some "common" preference
   saying: "Select Debian-Squeeze software bundles" and then listing
desktop, laptop, etc.

Where would I find those "bundles" defined? [Google not helpful :<

There's a brief explanation of the involved packages here:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch06s03.html.en#pkgsel

Greetings,

I've seen either that page or a quotation of it. As it is
from an "Installation Guide", the author's intended audience
is a range typical end users, not someone wishing to make a
tool for a very atypical end user.

What I'm looking for is similar to the dependency info used
in the background by synaptic etc.

Pages similar to
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/desktop-base or
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/gdm3 would be closer to
what I'm looking for.

You appear to be wanting to know the dependancies for packages,

Yes

whereas, installinux appears to run a distros installer.

Yes. But :)
I want to understand the dependencies so I will know what instalinux thinks is being request. The old problem of getting what you ASK for, not what you WANTED.

If you want tasksel, it is part of the Debian install process. the
regular (Debian suggested) desktop environment is Gnome, but you can
choose between Gnome, KDE, XFCE, or LXDE on installation. OR, install
a 'standard system'&  then boot into it&  run apt-get install (or use
aptitude) to install your choice of programs, such as Xorg&  a window
manager, or a desktop environment,&  programs for office work, web
browsing, etc.

Chuckle.
But I'm trying for a *LEAN* system that is not feature starved.
I'll use the Gnome Desktop _Environment_ as an example.
I like the general UI.
*BUT* it stuffs tons of never to be used games, office applications, and browsers unto the system. And adding insult to injury, does not install the packages I do want ;<

All necessary (open source) dependancies will be installed
automatically for you.