Re: Where does Debian define/specify "standard bundles"?

Camaleón wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 10:26:57 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

Camaleón wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 10:31:26 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

In trying to find a reasonable way to create a custom installation I
came across http://www.instalinux.com . I gather from what is on its
site and several reviews it creates the equivalent of a customized
netinst iso by using preseed files.

At one point the site allows the user to select some "common"
preference
   saying: "Select Debian-Squeeze software bundles" and then listing
desktop, laptop, etc.

Where would I find those "bundles" defined? [Google not helpful :<

There's a brief explanation of the involved packages here:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch06s03.html.en#pkgsel

I've seen either that page or a quotation of it. As it is from an
"Installation Guide", the author's intended audience is a range typical
end users, not someone wishing to make a tool for a very atypical end
user.

Well, the target audience for the guide can be a "joe" user who is going
to install Debian in the default way, or an advanced user who wants a
self-made/customized install.

Either way, the "software bundles" referred by instalinux are close to
the mentioned package selections described there.

What I'm looking for is similar to the dependency info used in the
background by synaptic etc.

Pages similar to
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/desktop-base or
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/gdm3 would be closer to what I'm
looking for.

Yes, I think I know what you want to get but doing so from Debian
installer is a bit tricky... you can cherry-pick the packages (or meta-
packages) that have to be installed by means of preseeding (also
documented in the above mentioned guide, chapter "B.2. Using preseeding")
but is not an easy task.

Greetings,

Me? Do things in convoluted manner?
Teachers and bosses have commented on that for >50 years ;}

In some of my reading, I have come across bits of the history of the "Embedded Debian Project". Though reading more on that project is unlikely to explicitly answer the question I posed, much of their work will be useful to me. They were motivated physical system constraints. I find the results esthetically satisfying.