Re: netxen_nic firmware hang detected

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 14:11:38 +0200, Marco Barbero wrote:

> 2012/6/27 Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> # uname -a
>>> Linux firewall-slave 3.2.12 #1 SMP Wed Mar 21 17:33:10 CET 2012 x86_64
>>> GNU/Linux
>>
>> Self-compiled kernel with a firmware from backports?
>

> Yes, not a smart decision?

No way, I was kinda thinking out loud ;-)

>>> In short: do I need another host-based firmware image after flashing
>>> new firmware from HP? I have checked logs but I cannot find any
>>> entries about flash version, only info about host based firmware:
>
>> How a bout a mass search?
>>
>> grep -i firmware /var/log/*"
>

> nothing only host based firmware entries

Mmm, let's re-read the HP info:

***
When the user loads the driver the host-based firmware image in the
driver will be the version that is displayed when checking the firmware
version using ethtool.
***

So, does it mean that when the kernel module is loaded (netxen_nic →
phanfw.bin) the embedded flash firmware of the adapter becames the same
that the loaded .bin file? If I read it correctly, this is only a notice
not a warning nor a requirement to fulfill :-?

>> The only problem I see here for using the provided package is that
>> you're not using a rpm, other than that it should be fine.
>
>> Anyway, have you considered in requesting a firmware update to the BPO
>> guys?
>

> what is not clear to me is if I need to update both flash based and host
> based firmware
> Or maybe I just need to update host based and don't touch flash at all?

(...)

As I see it (but I can be wrong), what happens is that when you load the
kernel module for the card which calls the firmware file, the embedded
flash firmware is superseded by the uploaded bin file, thus not enabled/
used.

My guess is that the embedded flash firmware is only used when the kernel
module cannot locate nor load the required firmware (*.bin) file so it
has to use then the outdated/stock firmware version.

Does it make any sense? O:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón