Re: netxen_nic firmware hang detected

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 11:01:25 +0200, Marco Barbero wrote:

> HP Proliant with a HP NC375T (qlogic chipset) Debian Squeeze amd64
>
> # lsmod -k

(...)

> # dpkg -l |grep netxen
> ii  firmware-netxen                     0.35~bpo60+1
>     Binary firmware for QLogic Intelligent Ethernet (3000 and 3100
> Series)
>
> # uname -a
> Linux firewall-slave 3.2.12 #1 SMP Wed Mar 21 17:33:10 CET 2012 x86_64
> GNU/Linux

Self-compiled kernel with a firmware from backports?

> I'm experiencing 'firmware hang detected' issue on this quad sometime it
> recovers after some seconds sometime a reboot is needed
>
> I have noticed HP has releases a very new firmware      5.0.0 (4 Jun
> 2012)
> http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=4038765&prodNameId=4038767&swEnvOID=4004&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-9c4312ff7adb4e6482acf4c1f7
>
> Looking at their docs they say:

(...)

> In short: do I need another host-based firmware image after flashing new
> firmware from HP? I have checked logs but I cannot find any entries
> about flash version, only info about host based firmware:

(...)

How a bout a mass search?

grep -i firmware /var/log/*"

The listed prerequisites are:

***
HP NC-Series QLogic (nx_nic) driver rpm version >= 4.0.540
Firmware version >= 3.4.336 for NC510C and NC510F
Firmware version >= 4.0.230 for all other Products
***

The only problem I see here for using the provided package is that you're
not using a rpm, other than that it should be fine.

> And then (but this is a bit OT, still I try to ask since HP does not
> support debian):
> HP release the firmware in a file .scexe This file contain a sh script
> and a tar.gz When I run it I get:

(...)

> issuing tar xvzf manually, gives always gzip: stdin: unexpected end of
> file Have you any clue about that?

The readme file has more info about it:

***
http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/sc-linux-fw/p2100299690/v78243/CP017666.txt

Packaging
=========
The firmware upgrade utility is released in scexe format.  The file is a single
self-extracting executable that unpacks the component, runs it, and cleans
up the component.  This one-step process replaces the rpm format which would
require three steps to install, execute, and remove.
***

In brief, the problem I see here for using that file is the packaging method,
though there's more abut that ".scexe" here:

http://www.lackof.org/matt/hacking/proliant/Debian-ProLiant-Guide.html#firmware-systems

Anyway, have you considered in requesting a firmware update to the BPO guys?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón